Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Never Too Late....

Saturday and Sunday's journal entries focused on the though that it's never too late. It all begins with a quote from George Eliot: "It is never too late to be what you might have been". This thought was very connected to an experience I had on a field trip last week. I was privileged to chaperone 3 very different groups of students together to the performance of "The Secret Life of Bees" at the Macomb Performing Arts Center. The American Place Theater has a traveling program "bringing literature to life" that travels across the U.S. reinterpreting literary novels in a one-person performance. The program begins with a discussion of the historical context of the book, a verbatim interpretation by an actor and a question and answer section. My students, of course, were the most well-behaved and attentive. So proud to accompany them! During the question and answer session the actor was asked when she began to perform. Imagine the students surprise (an auditorium of middle and high school students) when the answer was when she turned 34. The actor grew up in a very small town in Georgia, 30 miles from the nearest fast food restaurant. She had never even SEEN a play until she participated in one at 34. 20 years later she is traveling the country, presenting an interpretation of a beloved novel to students. Her advise? It's never to late to follow your dreams. The students were so inspired. So was I. There will be a time, sooner I believe than originally intended, when I will need an exit strategy from teaching. Scary. What will I do? What will I become? It's not even close to too late to start considering possibilities. Or, as Nancy Thayer reminds us "It's never to late--in fiction or in life--to revise".

Having been inspired by the quote and it leading to much reflection, I skimmed the ongoing focus on my wardrobe. I have no issue with getting rid of clothes. In fact, I have too little.My brother-in-law made the suggestion that I just bring a container of stuff to leave at their house for my long visits. I found it amusing that he thinks I have enough options to leave some of them in a tub 4 hours away! My problem is finding replacements. My short, curvy self is hard to fit! My comfort clothes reflect this, as in the winter it's my cords. I can look appropriate for school while being prepared to climb under, on and over equipment, haul tables for blood drive (actually happened yesterday) and still make a presentation to parents after school. Ok, I'll be honest. The corduroys were NOT the right choice for the parent meeting, but I was a fill-in. Did I mentioned I was dressed to drag tables for blood drive?

Finding inspiration in Sue Monk Kidd's writings lately. Especially enjoying "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter". The first chapter read so similar to my life I was astounded. While my spiritual path at this time does not focus on the Sacred Feminine to the extent that Kidd's does, the transformative process is inspiring.

Today I will express gratitude for fashion related reflections as penance for my lack of focus on the wardrobe challenges!
1. Grateful that I overcame my bow obsession of the late 80's/early 90's
2. That I found the confidence to love pink again.
3. My son makes me smile every day. Part of his plan for success developed over the weekend includes more UofM apparrel to keep him focused on his swim and educational goals. I may give in to that one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...