Sunday, March 13, 2011

How Do I Look? and Accepting Yourself as You Are Today

In asking the loaded question "How do I look" it was important to me to catch that we are asking ourselves. Not our partners, husbands, sisters, best friends. Ourselves. Self-reflection is such an important part of the path that it doesn't surprise me that this is a question to be asked gently, and more importantly, LISTEN to the answer. I don't remember ever being surprised when I look in the mirror because I know how I feel will be reflected there. When I'm tired, I look tired. When I'm worried or upset, I look mad. When I look my best is when I have been walking or hiking. Those endorphins really do something! Or is it just as important that my face is reflecting how I feel when I am treating my body properly? Now, looking at pictures is a different story. I am often startled at how different I look on camera. Which is why I am rarely in photos. Love taking them though! It's a Yaklin thing.

The Tibetan poet Sahara is so inspiring with the line "I have not encountered another temple as blissful as my own body". While I do love my body, with it's rolls and unevenness, I can honestly say I have not reached the point where I view my body as the most blissful temple. I do appreciate everything that it does for me even as I work toward a more healthy, fit version. Having health scares in my 30s has allowed me to appreciate the wonder of a healthy body even in my forties. Mostly I have yoga to thank for this connection. There is something very respectful in a yoga practice that connects the body spirit in wonderment. This began the healing process in my body. As things grew and attached that shouldn't, I thanked my body daily for everything it allowed me to do. I nurtured and loved every part of my body that was working, concentrating my energy on all that it was doing instead of the things that it shouldn't. I can honestly say that I made it through that time by accepting my body as it was.  It's been a while since I've practiced; I sense some salutations to start my day tomorrow!

Grateful today for:
1. Michigan being invited to the dance
2. amazing canines that can detect cancer (see Cesar's Rules by Cesar Milan)
3. relaxing bath after a walk

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, this has not been my favorite part of the book. I feel like it's too focused on appearance, and maybe that IS what a lot of women honestly struggle with. It is not what makes or breaks my day. Usually, when I look in the mirror and ask myself how I look, the answer is "good enough." I am nearly always neatly dressed, well-groomed, conservative make-up... good enough! As good as it's going to get given the amount of time I'm willing to spend on my appearance every day. And, I realize this is a location thing, but I'm usually overdressed if i go anywhere but work!

    Do I need to be more active and make better choices about fueling my body? Absolutely. It would get me into a size of clothing i am more comfortable with. But even though it frustrates me sometimes, that doesn't define me.

    I know this was an earlier post, but I had to laugh at the suggestion to cut styles you like out of magazines. I almost never order clothes out of magazines anymore, because what I like on the page is almost NEVER the right style for my body. So unless I suddenly grow 6 inches and drop 50 lbs., I really have to try on EVERYTHING. And usually wind up liking the item I was least interested when it was on the hanger.

    My mantra for this summer will be to get out and move. After the long winter, I need to enjoy every moment I can and appreciate the long days of sunlight and the amazing variety of plants, trees, flowers and wildlife I'm surrounded by.

    Grateful for:
    -my husband, who loves me and thinks I'm sexy not matter what size I am, even 8 months pregnant
    -sunshine and warmth enough to drive and work with my windows open
    -amazing friends who have been the most incredible support system (this includes sister-friends!)

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...