Monday, March 7, 2011

Catching Up (or, what happens when you leave your book @ work for the weekend)

Having left my book on my desk the end of last week I will do marathon blog to catch up. Doesn't mean I haven't thoughtfully considered the entries!

Personal Sabbath: As I keep the Sabbath the same as Emily Dickinson did (by staying at home) I was interested in this post. Keeping Sabbath is an important tradition. Both spiritually and physically. However, I've actually learned that doing nothing on one day just stresses me out the other six. Pacing and planning keeps me going. But I do set aside block of time to devote to meal that take a longer time to prepare, a longer hike or walk, indulging in a favorite read or political talk shows. Without also doing the laundry or jumping up to accomplish something else. It's part of learning to be in the moment. As good as I think I am at multi-tasking, there is a time for not being divided in focus. I usually reserve this time for when I'm with my family, but am also getting better at setting aside time just for me.

Priming the pump: I don't have a lot of rituals. I think that if I were working at writing creatively I would have a ritual for calming the mind and focusing on the process. Maybe someday that will come. Bob is always telling me I should write, but for now I still need my energy on my lessons with my students. I don't think that will change unless I change careers or when Bennett is off at college. That will be sooner than I want to acknowledge.

Hope chest, toy box and comfort drawer: Ok, I'm going to get a little cranky again. I do NOT have extra drawers or room for boxes. I'm trying to pare down what I have now. There is no storage space in my house. No basement, no garage, precious closet space. Some of the creative and nurturing tasks make me nuts just to consider. It will end up being clutter. So I will endeavor to take on the spirit of the exercise and not accumulate boxes or take up drawer space.

I had no hope chest. Mostly because I wasn't focused on getting married to have set up house. I had always assumed I would be on my own before marriage, so I bought china during college, a nice TV when I was 20, and accumulated some crystal and silver ware besides. They were kept in the back of my closet for when I moved out. The fact that I then got married at 23 and stayed at home until then means it kind of was a hope chest purchase, but the intention was so different. Although I would like a nice cedar chest to store goods. Maybe we just need to change what hope we're storing in the box. The tradition of a hope box makes it feel, to me, like we aren't complete, able to establish a household, until we're married. That's too much pressure; both to find the right someone and to not feel capable of creating a home without the relationship.

The toy box will also not happen. I can't imagine collecting stickers and what nots for a rainy day. I will say that the best part about being a boy mommy, though, is the toys. Legos and cars and balls are so much more fun than dolls and little pieces of plastic parts all over the house. I would rather buy a book or be outside. No one has taken the hints I threw out the last couple of years and bought me snow shoes as a gift, so that is the one "toy" I will probably look for some clearance option and hoist them up on the closet shelve until I pull them out for next year's first big snow. Or Christmas at the Bush's!

Outfitting a Comfort Drawer: This one made me chuckle. First, thinking of where I could possibly find drawer space. Second, that if there were chocolate truffles or after-dinner drinks or any other goodies that they would stay in the drawer and not be gobbled at the first twinge of PMS. As if! If I added scented sachet Bob would say "ewww" every time he walked in to the room. I'm becoming comfortable enough with who I am to know that some of these exercises are just not for me. I appreciate the creative spirit in which they are written, but completing the tasks will take me further away from where I am at this particular part of my journey. For now, the contemplative consideration, and occasional chuckle will suffice.

Would love to know how you prime your creative pump. What would you put in your toy box or comfort drawer, even if you don't make it?

3 comments:

  1. Sabbath: A friend of mine recently has found herself accompanying a direct entry midwife on a lot of home births. Probably because she is an IBCLC and a former NICU nurse. Go figure. Anyway, many of the clients for this midwife are in the Amish communities down here. One of the families my friend has been assisting with ... she became friends with after. She invited them to go swimming with them at the Y.... it was going to be on a Sunday. The had to kindly refuse. For them, recognizing the Sabbath is not just THEM taking time off work...but not putting themselves in a situation which would cause someone else to work. So... the life guard at the Y.... or the receptionist that would have to check them in. I thought, wow... that really is commitment.

    It really made me think about my own life, what we do etc... how much do we do on Sunday that we could do a different day. I've really made an effort to help us keep Sunday as a family day. We still haven't found our way back to a church service, which I do miss. Babies napping and all. We'll get there. I'm not concerned.

    My creative process is not a process. It's more like lightening. You never really know when or where it will strike. You sort of get a little warning with the coming cloud cover...but it strikes and strikes fast. You either act on it .. or wait until the next storm. :-)

    As far as creative outlets... I too find many of the "accessories" just ... to much. I enjoy the work of others. I am interested in continuing to pursue my new found love of sewing. But that also is servicing my new/renewed interest in simplifying my life... reusing/repurposing more and generally becoming less of a consumer.

    My comfort drawer... is more along the lines of time. Time to just be still. Be quiet. I covet this. I try to carve out these pieces. When life gets too much ... silence is where I take comfort.

    One last thought... I have to chuckle at your insistence that "boy" toys are more fun. First... I don't particularly buy into the gender specific toys. Second... we have a super fun little wooden kitchen upstairs that serves some of the best goodies this side of the Mississippi! And... frankly, a frilly froo froo tea party is sometimes just what the doctor ordered! :-) (this coming from a very non-froo froo gal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thought of honoring everyone's Sabbath. That does take a different kind of committment. I'm jealous of her opportunity to work with the midwife. New career in her future?

    Yes, boy toys. I'm not into the gender think so much. Bennett had babies and loved them. But we didn't have barbies and all of the little assessories. I don't know how to assessorize myself, yet along toys! While we exposed Bennett to non traditional options, it was amazing to me how he gravitated toward the traditional "boy" things.

    I can see you, once you get your house, having a basket or drawer or shelf for fabric that will inspire your creative lightening strikes. BAck in my quilting days a piece of beautiful fabric could bring and unexpected smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how much your thoughts echoed my own while reading these particular days. I found myself getting caught up in the details of what SHE found comforting/necessary/inspiring, instead of looking at the idea or concept. Plus, I'm still trying to eliminate "extra" stuff from what I do have!

    While I can't say we actually set aside a Sabbath, we do have Sunday traditions that are meaningful to us. Church in the morning, lunch out with grandpa afterward, reading the Sunday paper and "Wesco happiness" But my reality is, some of my "stuff" has to get done on Sundays. My time on days I work is very limited. The hour commute makes my days long, and usually my lunch hours are taken up with errands like grocery shopping, taking stuff to the post office, etc.

    Most of my creativity these days is scrapbooking. In a way, it encompasses my hope chest, my "toybox" and my "comfort drawer." I love scrapbook papers and it's the first thing I'm drawn to in any scrapbook store, despite the fact that I have stacks of it at home. Pictures inspire me in the same way, I take pictures and look at them with "how would I put this in a scrapbook" in mind. So I collect those things which appeal to me for when I have time to get down to business.

    I also found the idea of a drawer with a chocolate stash laughable. Apparently I don't have that kind of self control, because it would not be sitting around waiting for a bubble bath. And rose-scented anything just makes me gag. So I think it's more about the symbolism. What do you turn to when you feel the need for that type of comfort? For me, any time alone is unwind, refocus, take-a-deep breath time. Even if I'm still doing laundry, cleaning house, etc., I just don't feel so pulled in different directions when I'm alone.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...