Thursday, March 17, 2011

Focus on Yourself

I can't believe I haven't posted all week! Let's get down to business. My eyes needed a time-out from computer screens, but I have been reading the daily journal. The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, the world always looks fresh on the cusp of spring.

Loving Yourself Into Wholeness: If you start sobbing at the question "How are you" I think it is as much because someone asked whom you know sincerely means the question. I suppose there is the chance that a fragile enough state exists that it would be the final straw, but the person asking the question is important. When my friends from high school get together and start having some deep conversations (there may be glasses of wine involved!) and I am asked "how are you?" or "why did you do that?" there is no way that "fine" is going to be an acceptable answer. And we are better for the conversation. It is an accountability that happens nowhere else in my world. I am blessed. I feel no need to beat myself up or be ashamed. In fact, through the process my perspective is usually challenged and I am forced to create a new outlook. Love ourselves into wholeness, for me, also means finding those that are willing to take the journey with us. That's part of the reason for this blog! I must say that in the last 2 years I have gotten better about saying no. Some may find this funny because of how many times I say yes, but I do know my limits. What I commit to I have the ability to give the appropriate attention, including myself.

Self-nuturing: This is the part that is hard for me. I do give myself time (read, blog, walk/hike, etc.) but if it costs money or interferes with the ability to do something for someone else I don't even consider it an option. I love pedicures and massages, but I've gotten a pedicure 3x in my life and massages are limited to Penny at Kim's office. Which means maybe 3x a year. I do have a great hair dresser and a cut and color every 8 weeks is the most consistent self-nuturing splurge in which I indulge. Although, during the summer months I am very good about floating in my pool or the lake with a good book. Some I need to be more indulgent during the winter months!

What do you like about yourself?: I was actually thinking about this today on the way to work when the Bruno Mars song "Just the Way You Are" came on the radio. I decided to sing it to myself. My post for this journal entry is to embed the song. Listen to it. Sing it to yourself. Nuff said.

Accentuate the Positive: Anyone with the title Dame in front of their name deserves to be heard! (Think Dame Judy Dench for my Shakespeare fans). So the quote for today, from Dame Edith Stilwell, will be shared. "If one is a greyhound, why try to look like a Pekingese?" The TLC show What Not To Wear does a great job of addressing this. While there may be a little snarkiness as the current wardrobe is revealed, the participants are NEVER told you are too fat, skinny, tall, chesty, etc to find something that looks good. You may need to have alterations if you're not an off-the-rack size (and let's face it, how many of us are?) but it is a celebration of your body and accepting it for what it is right now. In fact, I think that this whole looking at our appearance work and be aided by a week of "What Not To Wear". Consider this homework. I am, after all, a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...