Friday, March 11, 2011

You are not your appearance

Reflecting on my outward appearance seems a useful exercise, I"m just not sure I want to spend quite so many days on this topic. Peaking at tomorrow's entry seems to be more of the same. I do think becoming more intimate with my authentic self, and learning to let that authentic self be displayed will result in a change in outward appearance. What I wonder is if the exercises of finding the right clothes and pulling yourself together is part of the process on the path toward realization or if the changes are inspired as the realization occurs. It's the chicken and the egg. I worry more about my friends or acquaintances who can continue to pull together their outward appearance to ignore or hide what is really going on inside. I say follow the adage about the "eyes being the windows to the soul". It's hard to hide or fake that certain spark that comes from authenticity. Body language and the eyes, that's what we need to observe. Although, a sassy outfit bring a sparkle to the eye.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm..... you know, I do agree that continuing to focus on ones appearance and distract from really digging deep. However, there is something to be said about decorating the box. Sometimes just putting a little extra effort into ones appearance can change an entire outlook for the day. It's like that old adage... dress for the job you want. If you dress frumpy, you often FEEL frumpy and that may not be your authentic self. Putting effort into YOU, whether it is outward or inward has benefits and shows you feel you are worth it.

    My sister and I were discussing something similar recently. She mentioned how when she lived alone in A2 she often would not cook unless someone (often myself) were visiting. She recently realized that she was seeing herself as important enough to ensure she ate well. She loved others enough to ensure THEY ate well...but not herself. I guess my point is, that even though it may seem the author is sort of stuck in this place momentarily ... there may be a reason. Loving ourselves enough to look pretty, eat well, etc... is a big thing. We do, do, do for others...but how much do we love ourselves to ensure we are doing for us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun conversation as I sit in my jammie bottoms and sweatshirt on a snow day! I understand what your sister is saying. That's why one of my New Year's goals is to use a tea bag one time. I deserve a new tea bag! Yes, sometimes it's that bad. And the wardrobe thing did start during very lean times where the budget didn't allow a real wardrobe. But I still don't put the energy into my appearance that many do. Clean and neat, somewhat flattering style and I'm comfortable. Does that mean I still don't think I'm worth the time? Maybe. Something I will have to ponder. Maybe that's why there are SEVERAL days devoted to the topic in the journal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you DO realize ... I say all these things as I walk out the door 99.9% of days in jeans and t-shirt. :-P Why is it Mama's always take care of everyone else around them...but leave so little time for themselves.

    I think right now... besides the time issue, my "style" has evolved and changed. I'm not sure I could pin point what my authentic self style would be right now... so I opt for what's available and can be easily washed (to remove remnants of my children's day).

    I do know I will never be a "Kim Kardashian"... dolled up to the Nines every day. That much I know.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...