Sunday, February 27, 2011

Commiting to Your Spiritual Awakening

I do believe in spiritual laws or truths as opposed to an absolutist philosophy of one spiritual path. The principle came to my attention while I was still following a traditional spiritual path. The following quote is so true: "If you consciously work to bring more gratitude, simplicity, order, harmony, beauty, and joy into your daily life,your world will be transformed whether you believe a Higher Power is guiding you or not." I had bosses that exemplified this principle. I watch as they openly disagreed with the need for a conversion or spiritual experience, yet worked consciously to live exactly as the quote above says. It is the only office of women that was peaceful; because it was expected, even demanded of us. Conversations that were gossipy or mean-spirited were not allowed. And my one boss had the courage to not just to set this expectation, but be firm enough to call out people when inappropriate conversations had taken place. At first it was a little disconcerting and felt a bit like having a mom, which was funny as all of the other people in the office were her age or older! But there was a security in knowing that the everyone was held to the same expectation and instead of just being an ideal, it was the way our office would function. I apply those same principles with my students in the library. Our intentions behind our words, conversations, expressions create an atmosphere. We must be conscious of what we create, to "set in motion a cycle of good that blesses all concerned". We usually are not aware of how our actions, especially the simple ones, are affecting those around us. Even more reason to live every aspect of our life with intention.

Expressing gratitude today for:
  1. Choices in the grocery store. So many people around the world do not have choices.
  2. The ability financially to make those choices.
  3. Grandmas who make sloppy joes and don't mind big boys filling up space.

3 comments:

  1. Very insightful, Rachelle. I am definitely more aware of my word choices lately. How do you feel about "venting" conversations about work? I am not talking about being mean-spirited or gossipy, but about releasing frustrations to help clear your mind. Would that be a negative or a positive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am definitely guilty of the "Venting". But when I'm done I'm not sure that I feel better. Often I have that gut feeling that lets me know I shouldn't have said what I said or as much as I said. I use Bob for this as he can be a sounding board and has no opportunity to "share" what I've vented with other people. Since this is an area that I am still working to improve I have difficulty advising appropriateness. Walking, very quickly, works better for me. And there's only positive side-effects! Does the venting happen with someone who can spin positive? Who you vent to and how often is probably something to look at closely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think having children tends to make us more aware of what we say. Even when we're not talking directly to them. They hear everything. Maren plays with one of my old cell phones (no battery) and I'm always stopped in my tracks when I hear my own idioms and what not coming out of her mouth. Even to the point of how I stand or move around the house when I'm talking on the phone.

    As she parrots back to me my own verbage, tone, and expressions I am increasingly aware of what I'm saying, how I'm saying it and what atmosphere I'm surrounding with which I'm surrounding my children.

    To comment on the venting.... On one hand I think venting can be purifying. If we really have an issue with something I think we DO need to find a way to get it out. Keeping things bottled up just serves to help those feelings fester. However, as you pointed out, we do need to be careful how we go about this. General venting to anyone really does not serve a purpose. It often can get others riled up and then you've created a feeling of discord in the general population.

    I have a person who often gets the earful of my venting. She is a level headed individual who will bring me back to Earth and help me refocus. She offers positive thoughts and advice and reminds me "this too shall pass"... while still acknowledging my feelings. Because really, isn't that what we're looking for... validation. An acknowledgment that what we are feeling is real and a confirmation that we are not crazy.

    It's like my 3.5 year old. I have found just merely acknowledging her feelings... whether they are rational or not serves to diffuse just about any situation. Just knowing someone is paying attention and heard her... often is enough.

    Of course finding an outlet such as running, walking, or other physical activities is also a great outlet. If we don't need anothers perspective then physical activity can serve to clear the head and body. Endorphins are released and suddenly we feel better and can't even remember what the issue was in the first place. For me... that sort of outlet just isn't always possible.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...