Tuesday, February 8, 2011

An Artist Is......You are an Artist

Excuse my lack of post Monday, I had to put myself in time out! Won't be discussing THAT today.

Take a risk day. I'm a rule follower. By that very trait I eliminate most risk. When was the last time that I did something risky? Can't remember. Maybe my marriage, but that's been too long to be consider a risk any longer. I think I can safely assume that risk paid off :) So I'm looking for my "stroke" and assuming it will not be a bold one, but just a start. Maybe this blog was my biggest risk. One friend, after reading the first post, told me I was brave. I guess when I think about all the things I censor what remains to be posted no longer feels risky. Toward the end of the lesson Sarah discusses that by building an authentic life for myself and those I love is my art. What else have I created? I need to think in terms of contributions instead of things, because I get distacted from my task when I think about making things. (Although, I have made a couple of nice quilts!). I love to create healthy, but good tasting meals for my family. Setting the table with my Christmas dishes and homemade love is my creation of love.

Most of my art is created at work. I become energized with the exchange of ideas and goals. I have a choice right now, as an educational professional;  I can focus on the criticism of the career and worry about the potential changes to my livelihood because of technology and government restructuring. Or, I can be proactive and influence the necessary change. I'm also a parent. I want my son, and everyone else's kid, to have the opportunity to achieve their potential because of an amazing education that they've received. So I work on curriculum, and finding resources, and figuring out how to challenge students while engaging them (and getting them to read at least 25 books a year!). Ahh, now that takes creativity. What do you create?

1. Professional opportunities afforded me by working in a small district.
2. Amazing students who achieve beyond any of our expectations.
3. The opportunity to do a job that I love.

1 comment:

  1. First... I would never would have described you as a rule follower. Really. But I guess that just goes to show how each persons perception of others and the world around us can be so enlightening.

    Second... I find it very refreshing to not think about being an artist as someone who creates someTHING. I have always felt this creative storehouse that I've never really thought had an outlet. Always searching for that THING that I could create. Now... you're helping me shift my paradigm (I love that word) and I think I can begin to see my art differently.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...