Saturday, February 26, 2011

Catching up

Swim and finishing up a class have kept me away. So we're catching up on the weekend! Hoping for at least one, if not two, state times today.

Gotten your attention: I laughed when I read this encouragement from Sarah to either keep going on the journey, get reconnected if you haven't made the time. Or sign off and try again later. That's what I had done the day before. Mumbling about not understanding the exercise, or wanting to do it, but doing it anyway. Kind of like taking bad medicine that you hope will make you better. So, I'm committed. Task complete.

Reordering priorities. To me this references the biblical Proverbs 31 woman. This proverb details how accomplished is a woman committed to her path. For anyone who hasn't read this proverb I encourage you to do so. But in the context of the lesson on reordering your priorities. I believe that the secret to a successful woman is that you CAN do it all, you just can't do it all at the same time. There are seasons. I could not do my job the way I do it if my son were younger or if I had had the 6 children that I wanted. There is only so much to go around. This reinforces the importance of making time to be still, contemplative, meditate and personally rejuvenate. Without these tools (and sometimes even with them) we will miss the timeliness of shifting in our priorities. Five years ago I would not have been able to start my work day @ 6 a.m. Ten years from now I may not be able to keep up with hours of additional work on nights and weekends. But if I prioritize correctly I can still be effective, in both choosing my priorities and accomplishing what is necessary. If the past is any indication, early morning swim drives will be over before I'm ready.

Real Life Begins With Reference: I have never asked my husband if he "minded" me going away for a night or weekend. If he were the type of man who minded I wouldn't be married to him. I remember serving as President of the distance learning student government when Bennett was a toddler and having University woman asking how I got my husband to let me leave my two-year-old at home so I could fly to Washington State. My husband is perfectly capable of parenting! Sometimes as women  I think that we don't give men credit, or opportunity, to step up and be effective parent. Of course they don't do things the way we do, that's why they need us ;) Doesn't mean they aren't capable (for short periods of time!).  To me being inside beautiful walls do not inspire reverence. I feel that way when I'm out in nature. The trail in my little town is my happy place. The kingfisher calling out at the beginning of the walk. The snakes and turtles sunning themselves in early spring, the coyote napping in the winter. I become refocused and reenergized with hardly any thougtht. Nature is my cathedral. I don't worship nature, it is my conduit to revererent intention. Where are you brought to a place of reverence?

I'm grateful today for:
1. dinner with friends, old and new
2. a warm shower
3. Excedrin (without which this blog would not have been possible today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...