Monday, March 4, 2013

Staying Connected

One of the principles that I have come to understand on this journey to a more simple place of abundance, is that we reflect that to which we are connected. While studying the Simple Abundance journal there were several times when I had difficulty with exercises that required me to shop, plan or complete activities about "things". It didn't take me long to realize hat some of the discomfort came from my own issues regarding money, or lack of, and recognizing that I had issues about whether I "deserved" nice things. Now I know that I deserve to have nice things, but actually spending the money on things for myself is another story. The fact that I am an educator in the current economy and with the reconstructive mindset of the legislature does little to support my efforts to be a little less frugal with myself! In fact, the few times that I have had "things" that were meaningful it seems they ended up broken! So is my attachment because I spend so little energy investing in things or do I not expend more effort collecting things because somewhere I know that I will easily become distracted from what is truly worth while?  I suspect these are thoughts I will continue to pursue for quite some time.

What about, instead of things, we pursue our connections to people and places and causes we hold dear? Personal connections provide balance, accountability and strength. The important thing about connections is that they don't always have to be a best friend, or sister, with whom our deepest secrets and fears are shared. It can be a fellow sport parent or colleague; someone with whom we can relate in our life circumstance. Personal connections, not to objects but life forces, are a reflection of our life and its balance. Sometimes we crave the intimacy of close friends, while other times the light-hearted, less emotional experience of acquaintances. That is not to say that the deep connections with our fellow man are not important. I was reminded of this as I "hung out" with my sister on a Google hangout. Or when the calendar reminded me that a group of my school age friends and I would begin our second shared meditation challenge next week. While geographically distant, technology and heart strings keep us connected. Often, these distance challenged relationship can actually be easier to maintain in this digital world. The pressure of interaction in a busy schedule can result in friendships fading as time becomes a barrier to maintenance. But geographic challenges to friendships can easily be distanced when a note, message, e-mail or other electronic connection can take place as time allows. The old adage of two ships passing in the night no longer means there is no connection. With the right technology, the ships don't actually have to pass, they probably just need a Twitter account!

During Lent is a great time to reflect upon the connections that we have maintained with people that we love. How do we make those connections a priority with the chaotic schedules that are now an American norm? To me, technology seems to be the answer. And a commitment that whatever the tool, I will prioritize my connections to those I love instead of the things I think I love.

My heart

Firecracker

red head girly

Books are the best

Annie home :)

Soul connections

A day working at Feed the Children

Modeling our Amy jewelry

Running for a Cause




How do you stay connected? Do you use social media? What connections do you need to strengthen?

1 comment:

  1. Awwww love our pics and connecting! So grateful for technology and being connected with you!

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...