Sunday, March 17, 2013

My Magnificent Vehicle

What a great way to regard my body, as a magnificent vehicle for this journey. It is so much easier to create a good body image when love, acceptance and purpose guide the conversation. How do we harness this thought for our children and teens? Giving them the gift of loving their bodies for how it functions and what it allows them to do rather than in judgement compared to a standard that isn't real. Emphasizing the function over appearance is a great beginning. For me, the last couple of meditations have been more affirmation of what I discussed in my last blog rather than new revelation but I have enjoyed the time to recommit to a conversation of appreciation for my body. The opportunity to practice instead of grapple with a new concept seemed to turn my early mornings into something to look forward to rather than something that I had to schedule.

I tried meditating this afternoon instead of first thing in the morning. I figured it was the weekend and I wanted to expand the way I practice. Normally I am up by 4:50 so I can meditate before I get out of bed and then I'm out the door by 6. Today I opted to combine a walk with work at my parents to start my day. After walking back and getting ready to grocery shop and run errands I knew I had to much to think about to stop and meditate. So I postponed the meditation until late afternoon, with mixed results. I am happy to say that even though I had to prepare for 2 hours of online meetings this evening I was able to put that aside and honor the time I had given myself for meditation. Unfortunately I have a very small house. So the dogs running the hall, people talking in the other room and the neighbor coughing on his back porch all proved to be significant distractions. Early morning, when I am the only one up, will continue to be my time for meditation.

On my walk, I was aware of the awakening of spring. It is amazing that even as the temperatures remain in the 20s, with wind chill in the single digits, nature pushes forward. Today my sign of spring was the red-winged blackbirds. They have been around for a couple of weeks, but today they were exhibiting their possessive stance toward territory. I witnessed something I had never seen before. Two male red-winged blackbirds were engaged in combat while in the air. At one point, they locked, I assume by the beaks. As they were locked together they began to spiral downward toward the ground, looking very much like maple seed "helicopters" dropping from the sky. I stood, transfixed, waiting for one to let go. They didn't. And landed flat on the paved road with a smack. Then, they hopped up and flew in different directions.

As I meditated on my body as a vehicle for this journey I kept thinking about the birds. The wonder that is bird anatomy, with its hollow bones and protective air shafts in feathers. If the Divine has considered such a small creature and the design that is required to be the vehicle of the journey, why do I doubt that which was planned, formed and created for me? For not one second did either bird lose focus on the fight. Why do I not trust my body like the birds? Possibly because  that bird doesn't have mirrors! But I smiled as a I finished my walk. And connected with the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote in today's journal "The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common".

What common miracle connected with you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...