Thursday, March 21, 2013

A lesson from Phoebe

Today I celebrate the 3rd anniversary of the birth of my beautiful niece Phoebe Johnanna Bush. She was only with us on this earth for one short month, but her amazing life taught me more lessons than any other. The most important lesson was the need to be fully present with those that I love. Phoebe had the love, attention and devotion of her family for every one of her 30 days. Such a blessed existence in the midst of painful circumstances. Her struggle led to better treatment for her brother Ronan just one year later. And although Ronan also was not with us for long, the lessons learned from these beautiful babies that I was blessed to have time with would, just one year later, lead to the first successful lung transplant of an ACD baby. My sister Kim and brother Chris have inspired me not just during their journeys when the children were with us on earth, but as they continue to live their lives, daily struggling with an unforeseen reality and grief. I am humbled.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...