Monday, March 11, 2013

A Field of Possibilities

So excited to begin the Journey to Perfect Health 21 day meditation challenge with Deepak Choora this morning. My joy comes not only from continuing to develop my meditative practice, but because the challenge is connecting friends across geographical distances, creating the opportunity for a shared spiritual growth experience. My health is really what propelled my seeking an alternative spiritual practice years ago, so the focus of this challenge feels right. Yoga, healthy eating and exercise were my starting points, but the business of life has stalled exploration of additional practices. I'm thankful today that technology serves so many purposes, providing opportunities such as this challenge and a way to connect with my friends.

Although I must say that the first work day after "springing forward" with our time setting may not have been the best choice. I actually assumed that the e-mail link wouldn't come before 5 a.m. And I would be able to put it off until tomorrow. But there it sat, when I checked at 4:50, just waiting for me to click and begin. I took it as a sign and soldiered on.

I like to begin by examining the mantra to be used during meditation. I have not reached the point where my mind stays focused for long, so I find myself often returning to the mantra as a center. The interpretation of today's mantra, "I am absolute existence. I am a field of possibilities.", felt like an encouraging saying to say to oneself in the mirror at the beginning of the day! What a way to start the day. As I carried the thought with me throughout my day, I kept returning to "I am a field of possibilities".  As a teacher and a parent, I often look at my students and my son as the possibilities that they represent. It drives me every day to provide challenging opportunities for them to grow. To develop the skills they will need to be their future possible selves. But the phrase is "I am", not "I was". How different would we approach our adulthood if we remain confident in the belief that possibilities are part of our future not just our past. What changes could we affect; what accomplishments could be made, both for continued personal growth and as contributions to mankind.

The field that I picture is a rare Lake Plains prairie, found in very few places in the world. There is one in my area and my son and I have volunteered to collect seeds to cultivate the native species. In that field contains the possibility of protecting an ecosystem from extinction. We spent hours learning to identify and collecting those precious seeds. That is the image that I am focusing on in my healthy life of possibilities. Focusing on the fact that if still have breathe, there are possibilities!


How do you picture your field of possibilities?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't done the meditation yet. I am not nearly as disciplined as you are, and 5 am will not happen in my world. I did get the message however: my daily inspiration calendar from yesterday said "Opportunities are everywhere. I have unlimited choices."

    I picture a field in spring that has just been planted, when the first sprouts break the ground and (unless you are the farmer who has planted them) you don't know yet what will grow there. But what I like about the image is, what you choose to plant is what will grow.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...