Monday, March 18, 2013

Evaluating Habits

Today the meditation focused on restoring or creating healthy balance in your life so I've focused my thoughts on mh habits, examining the how and why they were created. Diet and exercise I've already blogged about as a natural remedy for health issues that I have dealt with for a decade now. But I wanted to dig deeper. The problem is, when I start to think about habits, I tend to go to those things that I probably need to tweak. "Bad" habits.  But as I like my blogposts on the short and sweet side, and I want to honor the positive, affirming conversations that I have been having with my body, I decided to think of a couple of good habits and let those be a guide for how to develop more rather than rehash what I am not doing well.

The best habit that I have is my routine. As Bennett has grown into his teen years my schedule has become more flexible. Starting with his freshman year, I have been the swim carpool mom for morning practice. Actually, that started with summer swim in middle school but at least in summer I don't have to teach all day after carpool! He needed to be at the pool an hour before I normally left for work. What to do? Well, sleeping through the morning routine wasn't an option. So I decided to start my day early after dropping a car full of boys at the school. A half hour drive had me arriving before 6 a.m. Those first couple of mornings were grueling! But I quickly realized something. This was actually closer to my natural body clock. I am a morning person. A HAPPY morning person. The kind of person whose college roommates wouldn't let speak until after they returned from their 9a.m. classes. The kind of morning person who has a boss threaten to fire them if coffee ever becomes a part of the routine (yup, that morning happiness is not caffeine injected, it's all me!). So I began my day as one of the first in the building. And quickly realized I was more productive form 6-7:30 a.m. than I was for the rest of the day. I think more clearly, I have less distractions.

 As morning practices came to an end, I took a day or two to return to my former routine. I worked more in the evening, my desk was never cleared. I decided to compromise. There was no reason to be the first person arriving at building. Frankly, that's not a safe choice. But I could be one of the first. This third year I've realized that this schedule has become routine. If I'm not an hour early for work I feel like I'm late. More importantly, I've stopped apologizing for the fact that I'm useless after 9:30 p.m. Because you should see what I accomplish before 9 a.m.!

What is your habit that has developed to further your quest for a more simple, balanced, reflective life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...