Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Joy of Reading

Happy birthday Dr. Seuss! I did have an omelette with green peppers, ham and cheese, so I think that qualifies as green eggs and ham. Internationally, this day is devoted to the celebration of reading in honor of Dr. Seuss' success with his early readers. There are many quotable sayings from the books and the man, enough that one could probably blog just exploring Seuss quotes. In celebration reading,  I like the following quote from I Can Read With My Eyes Shut : "The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll" .

Reading was my first simple pleasure. The great equalizer in education and experience, I read early and once started moved forward with veracity. Libraries, whether in school or the community always felt like home. How lucky am I that I now spend my day in a library with students!

Reading can be so many things. An escape, a means of travel, the only way to satisfy the hunger and thirst for knowledge. As I've spent the last couple of years trying to live my life more simply, I no longer apologize for my need and desire to read. It can still can be a way to escape, or connect or just provide me with the opportunity to stop and be still in my busy life.

Today I'm grateful that my son has had a love of reading from an early age. Many times when it seems we have very few ways to connect, books still provide thoughtful conversation starters. How lucky am I to share something that brings me so much joy with my son.

Today I am grateful that I always had access to books, for a son who shares my love of reading and for a sister and group of friends who enjoy connecting through books as much as I do!

What book have you read, or are reading that you would recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...