Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Working With What You've Got

So, I've worked a bit past my trouble of yesterday (see my response to comment) and am ready to work with what I have. The working definition for me is "stop waiting for life to become perfect and start working with what we've got to make it as satisfying as we can". First I would have to acknowledge that my definition of perfect has evolved, so if I'm waiting for it to be perfect I'll be waiting forever! I found hope in the fact that Sarah believes that real life means we are only "one step away from dealing with dysfunction". Since I had worked with the assumption that I was daily mired in dysfunction, the idea of being removed by a whole step seemed something I could embrace.

Some sound advice followed. Don't wait to call a friend to do lunch or try something new. Do it now. I had the opportunity to meet childhood friends this past weekend for birthday drinks. It was a fleeting facebook comment "come join us". I should have done it. Yes I'd had a long week and was tired (and fell asleep on the couch before they probably even met), but I should have done it. Next time I will.

As I count my blessing today I am grateful for:
  1. My new Skechers (very comfy and allow me to wear warm socks in my COLD room)
  2. A last season of Oprah 
  3. Friends who are dealing with the same parenting issues as me (and aren't afraid to share!)

1 comment:

  1. What's that saying? "Life is what happens..." I can't remember the rest. Seize the day! :)

    Today I am grateful for my wise mom who let me vent/cry in frustration today. Today I needed my mommy... and I am sooo thankful that she was there.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...