Saturday, January 29, 2011

Daily Dialogue, Illustrated Discovery and Personal Treasure Map

So, not only did I not set aside an hour a day for meditation the last 2 days, I didn't even give 5 minutes to the blog! The days were filled with things that made me happy, so I'm grateful and continue to work on establishing time priorities. Swim was on the schedule for both days, after long work hours, but I went to sleep with a smile grateful that I have a son that is active and involved and that our family values the time supporting one another.

As for the daily dialogue that's recommended I do tend to treat the blog as the place to practice all things recommended. But I do check myself sometimes, knowing that I'm sharing not just with myself. So I will consider that there may be times I need to explore some things in more depth, in a more personal venue. But the illustrated discovery journal, that sounds like fun. Although, I still think that I will use the blog. In fact, reading about how images, colors and patterns speak to our souls reminded me of creating the blog itself. There are countless template layouts, colors and designs to combine and I put more thought into those choices than I did the first entry! The cool part was involving Bennett in the process. Especially because he recognized the colors and textures that had called to me as "being me". So to the blog I will begin adding an images (check bottom of blog) and/or quotes that express things that I truly love. The quote used in the journal was profound. "To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to keep your soul alive" ~Robert Louis Stevenson

As I was reading about the personal treasure map I started to get excited. And imaging the ideal house (mission style), where it was located (where do I find mountains and water?), car in the driveway (not picky, just no minivan and not white)....and then read the part where this is PERSONAL. That our truest treasures should remain private. For now I will consider my treasure map personal (beyond the few general basics I've shared) but encourage all of us to truly consider this. The point that hit home to me as I started thinking about the map is that it shouldn't be the "dream house" that is so big or so out of our price range or a show piece for others. As we think about Simple Abundance, what do we truly need? I don't need a huge house and would instead prefer smaller living space with a guest wing or guest cottage for family and friends to be able to relax and visit. That's my start, get working on yours.

Today I express gratitude for:
  1. 4 inches of new snow turning my world into a winter wonderland
  2. A swim coach that is invested in my son as a developing young man
  3. The cup of tea my husband makes for me every morning

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.. very interesting. I do think your mountains and water can be found in either Tahoe or Oregon.... Cannon Beach to be specific is a great location.

    Keeping your map private. Hmm.... but what about the fact that for many, that map is going to involve others to a large extent. I'm not sure I could really get moving on the path of my map until I shared it with my husband....who would be journeying with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about being private...I think the greater challenge for me is being open. We definitely traded space for location at the new place. But we are blessed to have The Dale close by, being steps from the lake, surrounded by wildlife.

    I always find it challenging to find a balance between reaching for your dreams and being grateful for what you have.

    I think Lake Tahoe is the perfect blend of water and mountains and has the added benefit of 4 seasons. Anchorage would work, too!

    Today I am particularly grateful for June, who helps me maintain my sanity at the office.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...