Saturday, January 22, 2011

So It Begins

Starting a daily blog on day 22 of the new year presents difficulties. From this point forward I intend to blog daily and the process will be more simple (no pun intended). A wise friend recently recommended that I write less, more often (good advice, Blake!). I'm late to the Simple Abundance path. Of course I know that Oprah had recommended this book years ago and actually began her gratitude journal as a result of the book (I have done a gratitude journal off and on through the years), but I thought I already was living simply. Perhaps more simply than intended! I maturing into realizing that the simplicity is abundance.

The lesson for January 9th is titled "What is it you truly need?" What a great focus for the new year. As a parent, one of the struggles in our American culture at this time is helping our kids figure out the difference between want and need. I WANT a smartphone (specifically a Droid). But I don't NEED one. My Net10 that I pay about $20 a month to have is working. Nothing wrong with having a smartphone, and I may even break down and get one some day. But it isn't a need.

So the lesson asks to be courageous and ask what is truly needed to make you happy. Two things come to mind without overthinking:
  1. My son to know that he is loved. That with hard work and perseverance he can choose his life path. That I daily parent him to be a productive, contributing human being who follows his passion(s) and trods the path of Simple Abundance. (what he would say is that I require all A's and am a butinsky!)
  2. That I daily contribute something of worth. It's why I choose to be a teacher, to volunteer, to go beyond what is required to do what is necessary.
So I sign off with what I'm grateful for so far this year. A husband who supports what I need to make me happy. The winter view while I'm writing (have I mentioned that I love snow?). A son who isn't afraid to hug his mom in front of the entire Varsity swim team! What are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

  1. I just bought the book yesterday and am looking forward to following along. Thanks for taking me... This is an especially poignant post for me, seeing as how I feel like I am, in many ways, starting over as of late. To think about the things I truly need and not want, makes me not long for the things I've lost. What I need...

    1) To take care of me... For sooooo long I've put me on the back burner while I take care of everyone else's needs. There is a saying "If momma ain't happy, no one is happy..." Although not the way I intended, I started taking care of me for a change and I am a much better parent for it. :)

    2) My kids... I hope and pray that I teach them to pursue their passions and be happy, whatever that looks like for each of them. I have a hard time with this sometimes... Their idea of right, good, happy is often drastically different than mine and sometimes I have to understand that and let go a little. A wise person once told me that there is no such thing as perfection... Good to remember. I hope they're compassionate and give back when they can. I've been thinking about this lately and need to lead by example...

    I, too, am riding the same high school roller coaster with my son, as you know. I am constantly asking myself if I'm doing the right thing, evaluating and often second guessing my every move with my 13yo. Amidst the grumblings, stomping and slamming doors I can only hope that as he gets older he will understand why and be better for it. The girls are another story. AnnElise is a happy, loving, care-free 6yo... Oh to be 6 again. Abigail is a beautiful person inside and out. I can learn a thing or two from her. :)

    3) Friends and Family... I moved back to St. Clair to be closer to my family and I couldn't have gotten through this past couple of years without them and my good friends. I truly need and want them in my life and am blessed to have an abundance! :)

    That's it... of course a good job, nice home and a little spending cash are just icing on the cake!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...