Sunday, January 23, 2011

Accepting Real Life

The inability to be content in the reality of the present is a result of not accepting the current circumstances of life. I smiled today as I read the example of the "tiny kitchen with the dirty floor". How did she know? The ongoing home improvement process is slow and unsteady as my husband and I made the decision that we will do what we can afford with cash. I am often frustrated by the arrangement of my appliances, the missing trim as we wait to drywall.....yoga breathing helps! As I consider what I am grateful for today it is my house. Yes, it is small with no basement or garage and half-finished projects. But it is warm. Yesterday while running errands with my  husband I sat in the car waiting. The car had been shut off and I became COLD within a matter of minutes. I thought of the people who are homeless or who are struggling to pay for heat in these tough economic times. So I have a choice. I can focus on the shortcomings of my home, or I can  acknowledge that I am blessed to have a home in which I do not struggle to keep my family warm or worry that the bills will not be paid. And I suppose that if I am to acknowledge the reality of my house I have to embrace the other things mentioned in the journal (yes, even my jelly belly!)

Today I am grateful for:
  1. My warm house in this bitter cold
  2. Interesting discussions with my husband (our perspectives can be so different)
  3. A body that allows me to pursue my passions (even with a little jelly!)
What are you grateful for?

3 comments:

  1. I too have to remind myself of the many blessings I have and not focus on the shortcomings. I have to remind myself to remove the focus from my tiny living space that houses 5 people and where I share a bedroom with non-sleeping babies. Instead, I need to focus on we are warm, we are healthy, I have 3 beautiful children that have the ability to make me smile even in my darkest moments, and a husband who, despite being clueless at times, really does put forth an effort to help and make my burdens lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accepting Real Life... LOL! Boy, I've had a lot of "real life" to accept this year. Sometimes I want to say, "enough of real life, how about a fairytale once in a while!" Yet, even in a fairy tale, the princess eats the poison apple. Acceptance has been a big one for me. Even more than acceptance, forgiveness. A year ago, if you would've asked me if I would ever accept, forgive and move on, I would've answered, NO WAY! I knew all the reasons why, all the cliche's... "forgiveness is a present you give yourself..." blah blah blah... but I couldn't imagine it. Well, finally I have. I have accepted what is, forgiven when needed and moved forward. Walking around with all that hurt and anger did me no good. So I let it go... Ahhhhh. Where thoughts go, energy flows. I've had a trying year but have also had a lot of good come out of it too. So today I am grateful for:

    1) My kids... When I was complaining about my son yelling "I HATE YOU" the other day, a friend without kids reminded me that it is better than no "I hate you" at all. Thanks Kerry!

    2) My house, well... my house for now... (acceptance, right?)

    3) My third graders... They talk to much and make me crazy but what a GREAT gig! I AM making a difference! :)

    Not quite to the "love my whole body thing" yet... maybe I'll get there in a few months. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Rachelle, I'd love to discuss this book, I think I read it about 10yrs ago. I accept:
    My kids fight, a lot, but grateful they miss each other if someone's gone.
    My husbands job search is taking a while, but grateful we have a cozy, home ( yes, with undone projects).
    My car is older and uncool (kids say), but grateful it runs well and no payments.
    My body is aging, yet still serves me well, and has lessons for me all the time. I'm grateful that my job as a bodyworker allows me to play with others to help them appreciate their body and listen and learn from it too.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...