Monday, January 31, 2011

Embracing Joyful Simplicities

Curators of our own contentment. Doesn't that sound awesome? There was a time I thought that meant knowing what we wanted and working to make it happen. Which I still think that we should do. But more importantly, it is starting to seek peace and comfort in the joyful simplicities. Seek out the sublime in the ordinary. I love being morning carpool mom. There is something so honest about a teenager at 5 a.m. Whether summer swim or high school, the kids bond in a way that is different than at any other time. And I am privileged to be a part. Bennett always felt left out in preschool and elementary school when the stay-at-home moms could be the drivers and work in the class and my work scheduled prevented that kind of participation. Now he knows that he can always count on me to be the one to do the shifts no one else wants, won't mind getting up earlier to throw more kids in the car. "Sorry mom, but I told them you would. I knew you wouldn't mind". What a comfort to know this is how my son sees me. These moments are priceless and I'm grateful that I'm learning to be fully present and joyful as I'm experiencing this with my son instead of waiting until the moments are memories recalled. As for the drudgery of day (those cleaning and organizing tasks) I always find that if I DON'T dwell on the drudgery it isn't as bad. I have an able body to complete the tasks, a house that is equipped with things to make the tasks easier and boys that appreciate what I do for them. I am a lucky woman. That said, I still hate cleaning the kitchen. Give me a dirty toilet any day, just don't make me clean the kitchen!

Today I express my gratitude for:
1. My building construction supervisor who noticed how early I come in to work and had my heat turned on an hour earlier so I wouldn't work in the cold
2. A boss that more often than not says "Just do it, I trust you".
3. The anticipation of a winter storm (hot chocolate and chili ingredients are well stocked)!

1 comment:

  1. I think the image of a curator is an interesting one. It see a curator as someone who not only actively seeks new "treasures" as it were, but also keeps track of past treasures. Seems like part of that contentment is cataloging (remembering) the things and people that are blessings in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...