Thursday, February 21, 2013

Music in the soul

As I sit in my room, reflecting upon my day, I smile listening to my son sing in the shower. It seems as if he came into this world with a song in his heart that he had to share. Sixteen years later I'm glad he is still connected to the joy he finds in music. It seems like such a simple thing; a child singing. Why, then, does such a simple thing make adults pause and smile, experiencing a second hand joy from the sound.

What is it about a child singing? Not performing, necessarily, just singing from the heart. No regard for an audience. The last two mornings I have enjoyed Facebook postings of a friend whose 3-year-old daughter is nightly entertaining. Mostly, I suspect, for relatives geographically distant. Yet a heart felt rendition of "skinermarink" and "so happy in my heart" at the start of my day is a joyful reminder of all that is good and sweet and pure in this world.

At four Bennett told me "I just have to sing. It's like the music is in my soul". I love that he still knows that soul part of himself. As adults it seems as if we are often looking for that soul connection; with another person, in our spiritual walk, or even reconnecting with our true selves. When did we lose it? How did we become so disconnected from the essence of ourselves. Because really, it can be as simple as a song. So today I am inspired to look for that in my soul that just is and always was. Not over complicated or deep in meaning. Just as simple as a song, sung from the heart of a child.


Tonight I am grateful for the joy found in everyday life through the heart and experience of children (be they big or small). What joy are you finding today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...