Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why We Give Up Things

As long as I can remember, the practice up giving up a "thing" during the Lenten season has been a spiritual practice. As a children, when my family practiced the Catholic faith, it was part of the ritual of the season. As I've grown older, and my spiritual path has meandered through several mountains and valleys, I often continued the practice. While I haven't given up anything for Lent during the last couple of years, my sister has remained faithful to this practice. I'm annoyed with her choice this year (leaving me on Pinterest? Seriously!) but it has forced me to reflect more fully on the reason why people participate.

The practice of sacrifice of pleasurable things to focus on the spiritual is not new, nor is it limited to the Christian faith. In fact, as I have spent time learning a little about other cultures and belief systems, this is a practice I find to be common in most. The idea is that when you miss the "thing" that you gave up it is a reminder to focus on spiritual renewal. That is the essence of the Lenten practice that I am pursuing with my commitment to blog my gratitude daily. I have connected this way as a continuation of my belief that it is better to spend time and energy promoting what you stand for and believe in instead of fighting against something that you don't.

Forcing myself to not only acknowledge what I am grateful for each day, but to consider the lesson behind my gratitude is a spiritual exercise, moving from the selfish to the selfless, focusing my energy in a celebration of the good. Sometimes not participating in an organized spiritual experience can lead to disconnect from the greater community. Making a commitment during Lent, even if it is a commitment to a practice instead of a sacrifice, is focusing my thoughts daily on being present in order to identify all the pieces of my day for which I am grateful.

For today, I am grateful that I live in a safe place. That when I decide I want to take my dog for a walk for a couple of hours I just do. I don't worry about being out alone as a woman, about fear of kidnapping or political unrest or getting caught in a crossfire. I am blessed. Blessed in my freedoms as an American women.

Did you give up something for Lent? How is it focusing your reflective spiritual practice? Has it made you grateful?

2 comments:

  1. Well, of course, I did give up Pinterest for Lent. I seriously considered giving up facebook, as I often find it frustrating. The things people complain about, the details of their life they feel the need to share on a social networking site, the viciousness they display online that most would not do in person.... it kind of disgusts me. But I'm also grateful for facebook. It has allowed me to stay connected to other ACD parents, close friends who are far away, see friends' children grow and change in ways I would otherwise miss out on being so far away from so many loved ones. I also need to keep the business page updated and most importantly right now, getting the word out about Wrapped In Love Project. So despite the frustrations, facebook has become an important tool.

    I am also journaling (privately) what I am thankful for each day. And I intend to revisit the Abundance meditation but time has not been on my side with that one. For me this year, observing Lent was more about focusing outward, finding ways to live the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up all carbs and all alcohol and it has increased my conversations with God. "Dear Lord keep me away from that cheesecake and those chips!" And "Dear Lord thank you for help in getting through another day!"

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...