Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gifts of the Magi

As my spiritual belief system has shifted I have grappled with what this now means as I observe holidays with my family. Having always related to the symbolic meeting more than literal interpretation I find that this is usually easier than I had thought it would be as I can strongly connect to the symbolism. In my family, we always approached Santa as a symbol of the season. He never visited our house, although Bennett understood that this was a fun thing that other families did. I have reflected on how the season is celebrated for several reasons this year; losses; the "santa truth" revealed to a niece; and finally, so many people in need that almost any version of Christmas gifting seems inappropriate. But it was a special friend, honoring the fear in her daughter, that made me truly think about how the season should be celebrated. What a wise woman to know if a toddler is uncomfortable sitting on the lap of a man you honor that sense of self. So this blog is dedicated to Becky.. One of those mommies that humbles me daily on her Mighty journey. I have never approached blogging the journal in this fashion before, but I`m going to include almost the entire entry and let the journal speak for itself. "....real role of gifts in the Christmas story. Those gifts were wrapped in miracles...the first gift was of Sirit; unconditional Love. The next gift came from a Jewish teenager, Mary. Her Christmas present was selflessness, the complete surrender of ego and will needed to bring heaven down to earth. The gifts of her fiancé, Joseph, were trust and faith. He trusted that Mary wasn`t pregnant with another man`s child; he believed thtat there really was a Divine Plan to get them through this mess. The Child brought forgiveness. Wholeness. Second changes. The angel`s gifts were tidings of comfort, joy and peace, the reassurance that there was nothing to fear, so rejoice. The shepherd boy`s gift was generosity: his favorite lamb for the baby`s birthday present. The innkeeper`s wife`s gifts were compassion and charity: a warm, dry safe place for the homeless family to stay, her best coverlet to wrap the new mother and little one, a meal for Joseph, the donkey`s fresh hay." Three kings travelled to seek a Prince and found him in a cow stall instead of a palace. "they unwrapped gold, frankincense and myrrh, but their Real gifts were wonder, acceptance and courage....yes, Christmas is all about gifts. nothing but gifts. But such gifts! Gifts tied with heartstrings. Gifts that surprise and delight. Gifts that transform the mundane into the miraculouos. Gifts that nurture the souls of both the giver anad the given. Perfect gifts. Authentic gifts. The gifts of the Spirit....the gifts of the Maji. Unconditional Love. Selflessness. Trust. Faith. Forgiveness. Wholeness. Second Chances. Comfort. Joy. Peace. Reassurance. Rejoicing. Generosity. compassion. Charity. Wonder. Acceptance. Courage. To give such gifts. To truly open our hearts to receive such gifts gratefully. Christmas just won`t be Christmas without any presents." Grateful for: 1. Unexpected family visits. 2. Sunshine instead of gloomy skies today. 3. Children who love books as gifts.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of gratitude as something complicated, but it definitely is for me right now. I hate being on this journey bur am truly grateful for the support of family and friends and the new family and friends we would never have met had our paths gone in a different direction. Working hard at truly appreciating the gifts in my life this season.

    ReplyDelete

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...