Monday, April 27, 2015

Kids These Days

Sometimes I'm asked why I want to stay in education. Politically, the profession is maligned. In practice, accountability has resulted in an emphasis of evaluation (of all parties) that has brought fear instead of passion to the forefront. So why does one choose to stay? It's simple. It's the "kids these days".

Today would have been my nephew Ronan's fourth birthday. So bittersweet are anniversaries. You try to focus on the love, the lessons, the people that have been brought together through his life of miracles. But it still is an anniversary of loss. Today, as I choose to remember the blessings that I have because of Ronan's life, I remember a particular group of students. My second group of International Baccalaureate Diploma Students. On the 1st anniversary of Ronan's birth, I celebrated by planning a service day with my students. They learned how to quilt by making baby quilts for our Wrapped in Love project my sister and I created to honor Phoebe and Ronan. They did so with enthusiasm. They already knew Ronan and Phoebe's story, so there was a connection for them, too.

But, in addition to the service projects, those students were there for me. They knew it was a tough day. I received hugs. We shared angel food cupcakes in celebration. And it was the best way to spend such a difficult day. At the end of the day, one of my blessings is knowing that this generation will be the ones in charge during my golden years. They have a combination of ambition, intelligence, and the need to change things, from a foundation of empathy, that I know the world is not just going to be all right. It's going to be a better place. Because of #kidsthesedays.

So why do I stay in education? Because I can't imagine not having the pleasure of working with such amazing people. Thank you Rachel, Tori, Kara, Marissa, Matthew, Patrick,Steven, and Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...