Monday, April 4, 2011

April Showers.....

Ok, I'm not sure that the snow showers are going to encourage those May flowers, but we'll see! Spring break in Northern Michigan is always a gamble. We've been in shorts on the beach and had 2 feet of snow overnight. Good thing I like suprises!

For those of you who are reading the journal, remember to flip to the end of the month to see the list of simple pleasures that you should engage in during the course of the month. Some of them require some planning. For instance, had I read about collecting rainwater to wash your hair I could have put out a bucket last night!

As the readings the first two days STILL focused on clothing, I decided to to try to connect with the love of myself. Looking in the mirror, connecting with my inner goddess (inspired by my current reading of The Dance of the Dissident Daughter) I finally realized that I do have the body of a goddess. Unfortunately, it's a fertility goddess. Where did whose lumpy disproportionate hips come from? And THAT renewed my "get off your hiney and get moving" self. As a result, I took an envigorating, brisk morning walk down the two-track country roads. And promptly was reminded why I need to get in touch with my need to buy new things. My shoes gave me blisters. The same shoes that I knew needed to be replaced because they were worn out on the inside heel. I found shoes on our way up north Saturday morning. Good price. Brand that works best for my trail walking. Himmed and hawed. Talked myself out of them (this is a typical shopping experience for me). So, as much as I've dismissed the clothing and shopping entries, it's apparent that I haven't learned the lessons. Anybody know where to find Saucony's in Wellston? No? Well, I'll have to suffer until the big trip to TC on Thursday!

Yesterday we were to contemplate what we were going to be when we grew up? It's interesting to me because I still think about this! Education is being set up to not encourage longevity of service. But I can't let go yet. I have inspired ideas about how to implement the kind of reform being tossed around by politicians and business people who would not last an entire day in high school. I do a lot of thinking on my walks and yesterday was no exception. I have one sticking point in my plan, perhaps today's walk will work that out! The journal talks about being inspired by red cowboy boots. I have to say I'm not a cowboy boot kind of gal. But new red Tom's shoes? That could be part of an inspired spring!

Learning that less is more is not a difficult concept for me. I just need to learn to accept that it's ok to invest in myself. Not sure when this change happened. I was a fairly stylish young adult. But as priorities and responsibilities shifted, and it was necessary to become more frugal, I shifted my thinking accordingly. Now, I need to shift back my thinking to a more realistic view of my current circumstances instead of living in the financial fears of the past. Wish me luck!

Expressing gratitude today for:

1. Time with my sister.
2. Beginning each day of my break with a beautiful view of the lake and birds.
3. Inspiring memories through scrapbooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...