Friday, July 17, 2015

Curvy Girl

Back in February, in a way that can only happen in the social media age, an educator that I am connected to through Twitter sent me a link to a cool business called Outdoor BookClub, with the message "this seems right up your alley". And it was. Created by Chief Heroine Jill, the company connects with women with outdoor adventures and books.  An upcoming adventure was a Backpacking 101 weekend. So I convinced two of my besties, Amy and Pamela, to come with me.

What an adventure! First, it was cold. Like wear your cold gear (including wool hat and socks) in your mummy bag while trying to sleep. Yet even with the cold it was so much fun. I've enjoyed camping every since I could remember, and would hike every day if time and trails were available, so backpacking is a great fit for me.


One aspect of the weekend that was very helpful was trying different equipment. A few basic staples can make backpacking safe and fun. For me, I realized a good pack, mummy bag, cooking system and water purification would be priorities. There were a lot of discussions about backpacks and proper fit. After the weekend, knowing if I enjoyed it that much in the cold it was something I wanted to do more, I began my quest for a backpack. Not much of a shopper, I was excited while going through an outdoor mall to see a ........... store. Literally skipping in, with credit card in hand, I was ready to purchase. A just excited sales girl (yeah, she could see the credit card) was happily chatting about trails, packs and all things outdoors as we started going through the choices. And then it happened, the measurement. I was spun around while a back measuring device was put up against my spine. And I hear...."oh". Well, we're not going to be able to get you a back today. Yes, being "hobbit sized" (my dear son's term for me) makes life challenging in many ways. She went on to explain that my back is small enough that I could probably use a child's pack, but with my "curves" it wouldn't be a good fit. Rest assured, packs come in XS, which she said I almost measured as, and she could get some shipped to the store in no time. A bit deflated, I put the credit card away, thanked her and left without gear.

Fast forward two weeks. My sister is in town and needs to do some "real" shopping (apparently her northern woods peace camp does not offer all a baby needs). An outdoor store was close, so I talked her into going with me, having been assured that as a bigger store XS would be in stock. Imagine my delight when looking through the packs I actually did find an XS! Up comes the "helpful" staff, and I assure him I want a backpack and just need to find the right fit. I had done my research and was fairly confident in the brand/size I was interested in, but wanted to check my options. As I relayed the story of being measured, and the difficult being I needed an XS pack, he gave my a very thorough up and down peruse and assured me "you are not an extra small". There then were several awkward moments while he explained that I would actually need the hip belt to fit around me and buckle. To assure you that I am not exaggerating, my sister finally stopped him and asked how bags were measured. Is it the length of the back or the size of the hips? The length of the back he assured her. Losing her patientce, she then "nicely" asked him to please go get me the XS for me to try. In an Abbott and Costello experience, I went between two salespeople. One assuring me I couldn't fit an XS and the other telling me every XS I tried on was the perfect fit. Finally, having determined that I could not get rid of the two inch gap at my shoulders with the S, even with 20# stuffed inside, I went with the XS.

On a side note, there is 4-5 inches of extra belt length, on each side of the hip belt, in my XS. Yes, I am curvy. No, I can't fit in children's gear (well, expect for that bargain on the youth mummy bag!). My curves are enjoying the pack, and the room to adjust the belt, just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...