Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Going the Distance

I had intended to be blogging the Oprah 21 Day meditation challenge, but my Melinda meditations continue to be most in my thoughts. So I'm going with my what my lessons are instead of forcing what I thought they should be. This is a quick update to track my progress and encourage people to find a way to creatively connect with our friends and family dealing with grief or illness.

As previously noted, a set a goal for myself to run 5k distance (not in an official race people!) in 36 minutes before the first day of school. Thankfully I'm in Michigan which gives me another 12 days to accomplish what I suspect is going to be difficult to achieve. My approach so far has to just decided a distance that I need to accomplish and after achieving the distance evaluate speed. Last Thursday Melinda had posted that her Friday treatments were moving to early morning in an attempt to recover more quickly for weekend time with her children. Of course, this information also included her progress increasing mileage as she preps for her 60 miles this weekend! Once again motivated to support Melinda (actually, it feels more like shame. Seriously, I can't even find excuses when I read Melinda's posts.

Friday morning both my boys headed out early, leaving me to tackle my run the paved bike path instead of the trail I prefer. Wearing my Mighty Oakes shirt and my bird socks for additional inspiration, I set my edomondo app, tyed up my shoes and headed out.

My mantras for the run were Strength, Health and Peace. The mediations were:

Strength: of body for both the coming walk and the challenge of early morning treatments and school schedules.

Health: that Melinda's body is renewed through life choices and not controlled by genetic predisposition.

Peace: that this time will be one that allows Melinda and her family to develop a depth to their relationships that would not be possible otherwise and that the joy of special moments will be in her thoughts instead of concerns for that which is not possible for her to do with and for the boys.

As I meditated on these thoughts, it was a also a personal renewal. For those thoughts that I sent to Melinda there were aspects that related to my personal life. Often we can see reflections more clearly than what is in front of us.

Of course, it's not all about sensitive, spiritual interactions. Don't forget the healing power of laughter. Which is why my message for Melinda Friday morning was this cute picture of my bird socks. People actually questioned the fact that I owned bird socks! I'll save the other two pair for a later date.


The result: 5k distance in 38:29. Whew! 36 may be attainable. The meditations provided focus beyond myself and inspired a sense of gratitude. And, in what I believe is more than coincidence, I completed my run just as Melinda was posted that her treatments was complete. Connection can be such a simple thing!

Still time to sign up for Melinda Meditation runs this weekend. Support Melinda by running or walking Aug 22-24 as she completes the Twin Cities Komen 60 mile with her crew. Fill out the form and I will share your commitment with Melinda! Click for form


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...