Thursday, December 26, 2019

Embracing the Dark

The day after Christmas can often feel like the day after the wedding. All of the time and energy that went into creating a celebration is over quickly.  And the clean up! (the too full tummy, the overindulgence of whatever poison you picked). This year, I wanted to be mindful of the season, to embrace the lessons that are coming with my word of intent for 2019, "engage". I came across blogs, lessons and meditations on advent through the contemplative practice community that inspired me to embrace Advent in the same way Lent is observed. Intentionally, with presence, instead of forward focused on the celebration that is to come.

Last full moon of the decade 12:12 on 12/12/19
The Season of Dark, leading to Winter Solstice as the day with the least amount of light of the year, can be a difficult one. Pressure and expectation of holidays, relationships that may bring unrest in anticipation of engagement or lack thereof, as well as the physical reality of living and moving a world with less light. The contemplative practice was a reminder that this too is a season to be celebrated, embrace, to learn. Engage. Be OK with the dark.

Truly, what that meant for me is learning to be OK with me. With my dark. To engage in the emotions, anticipation, dread, longing, not just for the celebratory season to come, but for life in general. My yoga practice is helping me breathe through the process. Feel the joy when it comes. Let the sadness and disappointment be acknowledged, and then let go. The importance for me was to be engaged enough to recognized the complexity of what I feel, long for and work toward. Every day I CHOOSE JOY. But there are days that the joy is not a feeling of happy, but a true choice of how I will embrace my present and engage to my utmost.

Like the couple who expends the energy and resources to plan a wedding, but has done no work to ensure a successful marriage, the day after becomes a disappointment. Reality sets in. Every day is not a celebration. On this day after Christmas, I sit engaged in this moment. I enjoyed the season, but practicing moderation means I don't feel physically or emotionally bloated. The celebrations were real and necessary and life affirming. As were the moments of dark.

And now, I celebrate the twelve days of Christmas, in anticipation of Epiphany. My tree and decorations will remain up through January 6th. I'm embracing my love of things Nordic by practicing hygge. I'm learning to find joy in a less hurried, scheduled existence and embrace the parts of me so intentionally avoided when not engaged. Love and peace through the last week of 2019. Let's engage in every moment we have of this year, before looking ahead to 2020.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep on Singing

I remarked on a friend's Facebook post yesterday that 90% of the time I have no difficulty approaching and living life with joy and grat...